Director of the McAninch Arts Center, Diana Martinez, takes you behind the scenes for an inside look at upcoming shows, events and more.
Backstage Buzz is currently airing on local WDCB-TV, Tuesdays and Thursdays at 11a & 7p and Sundays at 1:30p & 9:30p.
Glen Ellyn, IL (Comcast) Ch. 18
Glen Ellyn, IL (WOW) Ch. 24
Wheaton, IL (Comcast) Ch. 99
Naperville, IL (WOW) Ch. 24
Season 2: Episode 11 Summer Air
First up, Dan Bindert previews the WDCB radio performances at the MAC’s free summer concert series. Featuring both Jazz and Blues music, fans can enjoy the harmonious sounds at sunset throughout July and August. Then, Cleve Carney Curator and Director, Justin Witte discusses ‘ONE’, the Cleve Carney Art Gallery’s annual exhibit that features work from original artists in the DuPage district. From over two hundred pieces of work submitted to the gallery, a panel of art professionals carefully selected twenty-two artists to display. Finally, a first time Backstage Buzzer, Student, and Winner of the MAC’s Apollo Live, Michael McInerney tells us about his journey to stardom from a toddler to now, and what it was like to win first place at the MAC’s annual Apollo Live contest. He also gives us a preview of his performance at the Lakeside Pavilion on July 27th.
Season 2: Episode 10 Up Next
Some familiar faces drop by Backstage Buzz to highlight summer events and preview the next performance season. First up is Maestro Kirk Muspratt, the recent winner of the Illinois Council of Orchestras’ Professional Conductor of the Year Award. Next is Theater Professor and Director, Amelia Barrett, who discusses the College Theater summer offering, Goldie’s Next Big Adventure. Finally, Connie Canaday Howard, Artistic Director of Buffalo Theatre Ensemble, sets the stage for the 2018-2019 BTE season.
Special Episode: MAC Chat with Dr. Steve Havens
Diana Martinez sits down with Professor of Piano, Dr. Steve Havens, to get the insider’s perspective on the incredible musical feat coming to the MAC this April. The New Philharmonic Orchestra’s presentation of “Beethoven: Five Piano Concertos, One Pianist,” is an unprecedented undertaking that will feature piano virtuoso, Wael Farouk, as he and the New Philharmonic Orchestra, directed by Maestro Kirk Muspratt, take on all five of Beethoven’s Piano Concertos in one sitting!
Season 2: Episode 9 Music for All
- Diana Martinez interviews Lee Kesselman, the Music Department Chair at the College of DuPage, who discusses Free Music Fridays at Noon, a series of one-hour programs featuring COD faculty, students, alumni and guests that enriches classroom education and broadens audiences awareness of the world of music.
- Then, Diana sits down with Morgan Duncan and Nancy Dolliver, cast members of Capitol Steps, a show that has been delivering bipartisan hilarity for over 30 years, reaching across the aisle to lampoon the current political environment!
- Finally, acclaimed Chicago director, Steve Scott, chats with Diana about the closing production of the Buffalo Theatre Ensembles 2017-2018 season, Outside Mullingar.
Season 2: Episode 8- Exploring Indoors and Outdoors!
- Join Diana Martinez as she interviews Gib Egge,Coordinator of Experiential Education and Training at COD. Gib talks about leading students and community members on travel and learning adventures around the globe, as well as the upcoming National Geographic Live Presentation.
- Then, long-time Buffalo Theatre Ensemble subscriber and MAC patron, Debbie Borge, gives us the insiders perspective on her experiences as an audience member, faithfully attending shows and supporting the arts and the MAC for 25 years!
- Finally, Connie Canaday Howard stops by to talk about College Theaters upcoming production of The Diary of Anne Frank, which will be in the Playhouse Theatre in April!
Season 2: Episode 7- Making Backstage Buzz!
- Meet Chicago artist Faheem Majeed, whose upcoming exhibition, Unite, will be at the MAC in the Cleve Carney Art Gallery beginning February 8th.
- Actress Lisa Dawn discusses her role in Buffalo Theatre Ensemble’s next production, Time Stands Still
- Glen Ellyn native and Second City cast member, Mark Campbell stops by the show to share his experiences coming up in the world of comedy.
Season 2: Episode 6 – Making Backstage Buzz!
- This month brings a special episode of Backstage Buzz, where you get a look behind the camera to see what goes into making the show!
- Additional highlights include a tour of the Cleve Carney Art Gallery and stories behind a few featured pieces of the College’s Permanent Art Collection on display in the MAC Lobby.
Season 2: Episode 5 – Here’s to the New Year!
- Join Diana Martinez in conversation with Joe Cassidy, Dean of Continuing Education and Extended Learning at College of DuPage, as he highlights non-credit course offerings and other programs for learners of all ages, including private music lessons, art classes, theater, dance, and more.
- Then, get a double dose of the Maestro Kirk Muspratt, Music Director and Conductor of the New Philharmonic Orchestra, as he joins Diana to talk about two not-to-be-missed shows– New Year’s Eve and La Traviata.
Season 2: Episode 4 – December at the MAC!
- First up is Director of Development with the COD Foundation, Janie Oldfield. Listen as she discusses opportunities to spread the gift of the arts with people who need it, just in time for the holiday season.
- Then, E.J. Cameron, member of The Second City’s Touring Company, stops by to talk about the process of developing a show like the Holiday Nut-Cracking Revue!
- Finally, Tony Venezia from the MPTV Department talks about the Animation and News Broadcasting classes that are available to take at the College of DuPage.
Season 2: Episode 3 – Fall Fun
- The first guest of the show is Dan Bindert, WDCB Radio Station Manager, who shares his knowledge about the upcoming Take Me to the River Live! show coming to the MAC on November 5th.
- Then, Justin Witte, Curator of the Cleve Carney Art Gallery, returns to give the low-down on this Fall’s highly anticipated exhibit, Luftwerk’s Color Code.
- Finally, Connie Canaday Howard returns to give updates on College Theater, and the great shows ahead for the Fall Semester!
Season 2: Episode 2 – Practice Makes Perfect
- The first guest of the show is Rohina Malik, a playwright from Chicago who is keeping busy with all sorts of projects all over the country! She will be bringing Unveiled: A One Woman Play to the MAC on October 15th.
- The second guest is Kurt Naebig, longtime member of Buffalo Theatre Ensemble, who is directing their first piece of the season, The 39 Steps. Kurt gives us his perspective on directing versus acting, and shares details about what the audience can expect from the show.
- Last but not least is trumpeter, Wesley Skidgel. Wes performs an excerpt from the famous trumpet solo that opens Mahler’s 5th Symphony, the first piece of the New Philharmonic Orchestra’s 17-18 Season.
Season 2: Episode 1 – LIVE at the New Philharmonic Summer Concert
- In this very special recorded live edition of Backstage Buzz at the MAC Host and Director of the McAninch Arts Center, Diana Martinez, chats with guests at the Lakeside Pavilion while a crowd grows in anticipation of the New Philharmonicas free evening concert.
- President of College of DuPage, Dr. Ann Rondeau, reflects on her first year as President of College of DuPage, as well as her appreciation of the great fine arts programming at the MAC. CODs New Philharmonic Orchestra is the recipient of the 2017 Illinois Council of Orchestras Professional Orchestra of the Year Award.
- Artistic Director and Conductor, Kirk Muspratt, discusses the New Phils upcoming season and previews the evening performance featuring a highly entertaining mix of classical, Broadway pops, movie scores, and more!
- Active donor, Mike McCoy, offers a community members perspective on what inspires him to support the arts, and enjoy the family atmosphere that livens every cultural offering at the MAC.
- Plus hear more about upcoming performances at the MAC; College of DuPages Dance program; and a great new non-profit organization called Arts DuPage.