June 5 - Sept. 6, 2021
Works on loan from the Olmedo Museum
Presented by the Cleve Carney Museum of Art and the McAninch Arts Center at the College of DuPage in Glen Ellyn, IL, this comprehensive presentation of the life and works of the artist Frida Kahlo will feature 26 original pieces as well as an immersive historical exhibit that provides a framework of the life, circumstances and events that led to Kahlo becoming one of the most important painters of the 20th century and of our time.
Alongside the 26 original works, this immersive exhibition features:
- a multimedia timeline with reproductions of Kahlo’s clothing
- more than 100 photographic images from the artist’s life,
- a family-friendly children’s area
- a Frida Kahlo-inspired garden designed by Ball Horticultural
Frida Kahlo: Timeless considers the many elements at play in Kahlo’s work. The complexities of Kahlo’s paintings can not be fully understood or appreciated without insight into her person and the world she was a part of. Specifically the role of Mexico City as a center of international art and culture in the early and middle 20th century, as well as Kahlo’s lifelong refusal to allow illness to restrict her diverse and intense passions. In many ways, Kahlo’s painting, politics, and identity were ahead of her time, and are extremely relevant today. Kahlo explained that she “painted her reality”, this exhibition hopes to provide insight into that reality while allowing the viewer intimate access to her world.
Photo Credit: Frida on White Bench. Photo by Nickolas Muray; © Nickolas Muray Photo Archives
Frida Kahlo: Timeless Offers Two Types of Tickets:
Frida Kahlo: Timeless offers two types of tickets: Untimed Entry Tickets ($40) and Timed Tickets ($23).
- With Untimed Entry Tickets, visitors select a date and have the flexibility of entering the exhibition at any time during that day’s regularly scheduled exhibition hours. Please note that the last entry time is 5p Mondays-Wednesdays and Fridays-Sundays, and 9p Thursdays.
- With Timed Entry Tickets, visitors reserve a specific date and time for exhibition viewing. Your reservation time is for the main gallery with Frida Kahlo’s original artwork. In order to experience the Historical Timeline and Photo Exhibit before viewing the art, please arrive up to one hour prior to your reserved ticket time as exhibition hours allow.
Ticket prices reflected above exclude online and handling fees. Ticket quantities limited. Tickets are good for one-time entry only. Re-entry is not permitted. Additional restrictions apply.
We are offering gift certificates that can apply to both time and untimed tickets. Gift certificates must be redeemed for a ticket prior to the event.
Our COVID-19 precautions aim to provide health and safety to all patrons, volunteers and staff. Following the CDC, state and local health department guidelines, the McAninch Arts Center and Cleve Carney Museum of Art (MAC/CCMA) has adopted the following policies to help reduce the possibility that you or anyone else will be exposed to COVID-19:
- All patrons over the age of two are required to wear a mask that covers both the nose and mouth in the public spaces, galleries, entrances and garden.
- Attendees are ticketed in 15-minute increments to ensure no more than 50 people in a space at a time.
- There are temperature scanners at the main entrance. No one with a temperature of 100 degrees or higher will be allowed to enter. Customers who cannot attend because of an elevated temperature are entitled to reschedule or receive a refund.
- If you are not feeling well, have a fever, have been exposed to anyone symptomatic for COVID-19, or have recently been tested and waiting results, you must postpone your visit for another day. Contact the Box Office to reschedule or request a refund.
- Visitors must abide to physical distancing guidelines – maintaining a six-foot distance from others not part of your visiting group. There are social distancing markers throughout the exhibit.
- There is not a checkroom/coat closet. Please pack lightly for your visit. The following items will not be allowed: bags and purses larger than 13 x 17 x 4 inches, backpacks, baby strollers or carriers, shopping bags, food, drinks, video cameras, selfie sticks, long umbrellas and wrapped packages.
The MAC/CCMA has added the following procedures:
- Purchase touchless tickets online at AtTheMAC.org. Tickets are scanned touchless upon arrival. Digital programs are available.
- The exhibit is designed for one-way traffic.
- Hand-sanitizing stations are available at entrances.
- Lucite barriers are installed at the box office and concession stand.
- Concessions are pre-packaged. Water fountains will not be available. Bottled water is available for purchase.
- Increased cleaning and disinfecting that meets the College of DuPage and Health Dept guidelines.
- Added signage and staffing to help guide patrons, answer questions and maintain social distancing.
- Any visitor who is disrespectful or discourteous to other guests, staff or volunteers may be asked to leave.
- Security personnel will enforce our policies and procedures.
Thank you for your cooperation in following our safety measures. MAC/CCMA has taken enhanced health, safety and cleaning measures to protect patrons and reduce transmission risks of COVID-19. Please be aware that the risk of such exposure exists in any public place or large gathering. By purchasing a ticket and attending you assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19. Any patron that does not wish to comply with these health and safety measures should not attend.
PROGRAMMING & EVENTS
Frida Kahlo: Timeless Executive Director:
Diana Martinez (Director of the McAninch Arts Center) firstname.lastname@example.org, 630-942-3007
CCMA Director and Curator of Frida Kahlo: Timeless:
Justin Witte, email@example.com, 630-942-3206
Marcela Andrade Serment, 630-942-2321
Heidi Holmes, 630-942-2321
DEVELOPMENT & SPONSORSHIP
College of DuPage Foundation:
Karen Kuhn, Karen.firstname.lastname@example.org, 630-942-2698
Group Sales (10 or more tickets)
Kat Kazmierski, email@example.com, 630-942-3026