Michelle Areyzaga: Soprano
Jesse Donner: Tenor
Ben Bogart: Bandoneon
Northwest Indiana Symphony Chorus: Dr. Nancy Menk, Director
Celebrate the heritage of Frida Kahlo through the rhythm and sounds of Mexico, in anticipation of the major exhibit of her works to be held right here at the MAC in June 2020.
Selection of works by Mexican born composers include the beautiful melodies of Agustin Lara’s Granada and the intoxicating and percussive dance rhythms of Arturo Marquez’s Danzon and Silvestre Revueltas Sanchez’ Noche de Encantamiento. Concluding our musical journey into the Latin American sounds of Frida Kahlo’s world, film composer Luis Bacalov’s Misa Tango sets the traditional mass to the dance rhythms of the tango. This work features soprano and tenor vocalists, a 100-voice chorus, as well as the bandoneon accordion known for driving the sultry sound of the tango.
List of Composers
- “Danzon No. 2” by Arturo Márquez.
- “Castilla” from Isaac Albéniz’s “Suite española,” Op. 47
- “La noche de los Mayas,” Mvt. IV by Silvestre Revueltas,
- “Malaguena” by Ernesto Lecuona and Morton Gould
- “Granda” by Agustin Lara; featured vocalist, Jesse Donner (tenor)
- “Bolero” by Maurice Ravel
- “Misa Tango” by Luis Bacalov featuring Michele Areyzaga (soprano), Jesse Donner (tenor) Ben Bogart (bandoneon) and the Northwest Indiana Symphony Chorus
MAC Chats are FREE and begin one hour prior to the performance.
Immediately following the performance Maestro Muspratt, as well as members of the orchestra, cordially invite you to participate in Cookies with Kirk in our lobby, sponsored by Brookdale Glen Ellyn.
Interested in becoming a subscriber? Call the MAC Box Office at 630.942.4000.
For information about group sales, contact Kat Kazmierski at
firstname.lastname@example.org or 630.942.3026.